What I’ve been up to

on

It’s been awhile since I last posted anything.  This post is just to let the world know that I am still alive and what I have been working on these past few months.

At the office

At work, its the same old boring stuff of maintaining a legacy asp.net web forms app from hell.  I say from hell because it has a hand rolled DAL, over 20 projects, table based markup, asp.net ajax toolkit, …well you get the point.  Our marching orders are to keep it up and running while adding features to support our ever changing business.

Early on we did some broad refactorings (code reformatting, removing singletons, cleaning up cross project dependencies) with marginal success.  Here lately the work has been on improving performance.  Part of that has been me analyzing performance counters and log files from our production systems.  Hopefully I will get the urge to write about the specifics as I believe it is valuable information that I will need again in the future.

In the next few weeks I hope to spend less time on the legacy system and more time working on the strategic enterprise architecture stuff.  Our discussions to date have been about how SOA, EDA, messaging, etc can help the software stay agile and change at the pace of the business.  More on this at a later date as well.

At the house

At home I am focusing on a side project that is built using  ASP.NET MVC, NServiceBus, and db40. 

Let me tell you, db4o is really cool.  There is very little code to get it up and running, especially when combined with a framework like NCommon,  And the whole NoSQL stuff is just great.  Head on over to www.db4o.com and have a look.

This weekend I have been writing a subscription storage and saga persister for nservicebus using db4o which I plan to contribute back to the project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment